About Me

My photo
I am a physically down-to-earth, mentally-wide-open person with a fascination for Science Fiction writing. I have written stories from the time I was old enough to know how to write backwards letters, and have had quite a few interesting adventures come of them. I do enjoy a good adventure, be it in words or in reality - they both make me a little giddy. I am prone to random road trips, sudden disappearances, jumping before looking...that kind of thing. I have written a few stories that I keep on Fanfiction.net, and a fellow author from there guided me here - my steps from now on are inspired by her, and you forever have my gratitude Kyndra Hatch ~ much love my friend!

8.4.11

Review

So, as part of my previously stated list of goals was to go back and to review some of my older writing to see if I could pin my style; get a better idea what format of writing works best for me. My conclusion? No two stories are written the same.
Okay, I know that there are two general responses to that:
1) of course not, because no two stories can be told the same.
2) you have several short stories that are written in the same way.
True on both accounts, as I see it anyway, but not what I really mean.
What I was looking for is that one thing that you can pick out about an author that you know will always be there. I guess it's hard to explain because it can be as simple as a style of punctuating, or as far as a certain air about the story it's self. Maybe I don't see mine because I'm the one writing it. I'm not sure.
However, I did make a list of some of the things that I do tend to gravitate towards when writing, and where some of my weaknesses lay. I like to write about pain and strife - and not always with some ideal happy ending attached to it - and I lack in the areas of humor and fluff (the softer side of romance). So, what do I intend to do about this? Several oneshots that try to focus solely on these weaker points, and try to avoid the gravitational pull of my habitual areas. It's not that I want to remove the pain and strife from my writing - much the opposite, I embrace what I know and how I believe life to be; there is always some level of angst to every life - but to set it aside for a bit to work the muscles of my weaker genres. Make sense?
At any rate, this is my new focus for the next several weeks. My first project will be in Transformers fan fiction since that is what I'm currently enraptured by. One step at a time, lady. One step at a time...

1 comment:

  1. Totally makes sense! That sounds like a great plan. It's always good to practice on your weaker areas.

    I get what you're saying about finding your writing style too. I'm not quite sure what my writing style is either, but I can definitely see it in other authors. I guess it's as you say: it's hard to see in ourselves since we're the ones writing our stories, etc.

    ReplyDelete